Saturday, January 31, 2009

Identity Crisis: I’M A MOM?!

Just a few, short years ago, I didn’t have a care in the world. I could get on a plane and go wherever I wanted – with just one bag. I could justify not doing groceries for a week so I could buy clothes. If I was too lazy to cook, I drove down to McDonald's. It was all about me.

And then, that same ‘me’ got married, bought a house, had a baby, got another dog…
WHOSE LIFE IS THIS, ANYWAY?

While I was pregnant, a girl I worked with said to me, “Aren’t you afraid of losing your ‘cool’ factor?". What? Who says that?! Those words cut me deep: I was so happy to have my baby, but I never thought twice about being labeled a mother.

I struggled with who I was going to become and with my preconceived notions of what a mother was. Could I be cool and a mom? Could I be relevant and a mom? Could I wear stilettos and be a mom? I mean, when I thought of my own mother, I didn’t think she was cool - she was just mom. But you know what about my mom?

* She was younger than I am now when she had me, she had to have been smokin’ hot
* She had a career while raising me, my brother and sister
* She was pretty fashionable (although, now, she owns and wears mom jeans)
* My mom is intelligent

Why do people think that being a mom, including many moms-to-be, means being boring and bland? Is it the media? Is it the people around us that don’t have children and the comments they make? Is it our insecurities?

Being a mom is hard work. In fact, it’s the hardest and most important job I’ve ever had in my entire life: I’m in charge of the development of another human being, responsible for the complete care of another individual! I have to create a world where a precious, little one can be free to grow into his own person. AGH! The pressure!

With all that being said, you know what? I haven’t lost my cool factor! I am me and I'm awesome, because now, on top of all the other things I can do and have done, I’m a mom, too! MOM’S RULE!

5 comments:

Veronica Lee said...

I think you're one cool mom!

Kim said...

I agree with you that you can be cool and still be a mom. That is one of the reasons I use Pretty Pink Momma as an outlet. I love cool stuff, fashion kid or otherwise, period. I think as mom we just learn about so many more topics of cool and fashionable things that make us much more well rounded individuals. I think your blog is great!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Kim! :-)

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

I was with you there- but still get stuck in the what my life was like before kids- I can say I obviously loved my life too much!
I think its awesome that you love being a mom- you have such the right outlook on things!

The Adventures of Mommy Maestro said...

Most mom's don't lose their cool...they lose their minds! Sure we want to believe we can still wear those high heels, but lets face it, we just sink in the mud at the park and end up looking ridiculous anyway. I remember the single days, and boy were they fun! Now like you, I'm surrounded by men (Hubby, 2 boys). My best girl friend is my dog. (What happened?) Cool is a state of mind. Some days I am, some days I'm not! Keep up the great work. Love your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...