Monday, February 16, 2009

Booby Blues

It’s been twelve hours since the last time I pumped. And my boobs aren’t sore. They’re only slightly tender to the touch. I’m squishing them around right now, and they don’t feel full. In a little bit, I will pump them, and I’ll probably get three ounces of milk out of each one. But I’ll remember the days when I used to get seven.

Long gone are the days when I had rock hard boobies, so engorged, I could flex my pecs and squirt you in the eye through my shirt. I have no more use for cold compresses, hot compresses, breast pads, lanolin… no, none.

I remember hating having Twin Peaks sitting on my chest because I couldn't sleep on my stomach. Oh, but how the tide has turned. I’m sad. I miss them. Their absence means my baby is thisclose to not needing my milk. Very, very soon my boobies won’t be necessary. They’ll just be your everyday, run-of-the-mill 'flap jacks'. No more milk. No more baby needing mommy.

*sniffle*

Is it Monday?

12 comments:

blueviolet said...

Awwwww....it's ok. You did a good job and that's why you're where you're at now! But, I did have to laugh a little bit when you said you were squishing them around, LOL

Suburbia Steph said...

I'm sure your milkshake will still bring the boys to the yard....

Helene said...

Big high-5 to you on nursing for as long as you have! I didn't get very far with either of my sets of twins. I always wish I could've but it just never worked out for me.

Your comment about flexing your pecs and being able to squirt someone in the face cracked me up!!!

Fiona said...

Bitter sweet isn't it?

Ellen Hart said...

Thanks for your hilarity and honesty! I stumbled upon this blog and just loved this post! I'm sure all breast feeding moms can relate!

Veronica Lee said...

Milk jugs, marvelous melons - those are hilarious !!

Zeemaid said...

awww... After 3 babies, I was so glad to have my breasts back to myself and wear sexy bras again. So perk yourself up (and hubby too) with some new sexy bras. Dress up those melons! :)

Mary K Brennan said...

You're so lucky to have been able to provide for your child for so long. I didn't have much luck with the whole process. And by the time everything shrunk back down to size, they didn't match anymore. That's right, 2 different sizes! Don't you just love motherhood? Keep smiling, you did good!

Insanity Kim said...

Be proud!

I wrote of my terrible experiences with the breast pump, and I now have water balloon boobs that I roll up into a padded, under-wire bra, but, I have healthy kids and I am proud to have been able to do it!

Good work, mama! The second time around (I am assuming this is the first, right?) Is actually a little better, and what I lost in firmness I at least gained in size. Maybe that's not a good thing...

Great posts! Keep it up! :)

Kim said...

I really love your posts! You are so honestly funny. I am right there with you on the whole nursing thing. My little guy is shaping up to be done in a couple of months (he's under protest though). My husband is more sad than I am I think to see my girls go. I will miss being able to properly fill out a shirt!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, ladies! I need all the encouragement I can get! :-)

The Sensible Momma said...

Your post cracked me up! My little one is still nursing, but it won't be long until he is completely weaned...he only nurses 3 times a day now. I keep going back and forth...I don't want to stop nursing because it has been such a bonding experience with my baby, but I am ready to have my body back to myself. 10 months of pregnancy and now 10 months of nursing...I think I want my body back (oh, and so does my hubbie) :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...