Monday, March 9, 2009

Dead Plants Society

My mom has a green thumb. So green, it's glow-in-the-dark. You'd think that I, having half of her genetic makeup, would also have a green thumb, right?

This afternoon, I read this article on Yahoo about how household plants help to clean the air in your home, and of course, it got me thinking about all the plants I've ever had in my life. I've had eight in the past four years. Eight poor, plant souls. Three are still alive (?!?), and one is hanging on by a sliver of a thread.

My oldest plant is four years old: 

I bought him for my very first apartment. He obviously needs to be re-potted, but I'm afraid to do it - my one and only other attempt resulted in a fatality.








This next plant is my second oldest:

My mom gave her to me to celebrate HBL and I buying our house. She is one and a half years old. She seems to be the happiest among all my plants. I wonder what my mom did to her to keep her that way? 







This guy was a gift from HBL:

This guy was a gift from HBL. Yeeks.















It's not like I go out of my way to kill them. Believe it or not, I do actually tend to them. It's just that for some reason, I can't seem to keep them alive! Hmmm... if the looks of my plants are an indication of my ability as a parent, then Monkey is in deep, deep trouble.

15 comments:

Tami said...

don't feel bad, in my 21 years of marriage.. I have 2 plants in te house.. both are dying. My wonderful mother in law, looks at them and says. I'm sure glad thats not my son starving.

blueviolet said...

I can't keep a plant alive to save my own life. You're not alone.

Becca said...

I brought all of my plants across country and now have NONE. I killed them all. I have not been brave enough to try again!

Becca

Please visit me at http://www.askbecca.com

Stephanie said...

Every time we move, they all die. I have 2 now that have lasted 6 months and I think that's an all time record for me.

I'm Stephanie. Found you through the Follow Me.

Fearless Mom said...

that's pretty impressive. i have no live plants.

Kimberly said...

I unfortunately have a black thumb as well. I have been able to keep 4 plants alive for the past five years. All others have met their match and died. Actually, the only reason the ones that didn't die are still alive is cause my hubby takes the time to make sure they get watered!

Jessica said...

All I can really handle is one houseplant at atime and sometimes that's too much. Baby steps.

Aim said...

I have one plant, at work, in the fluorescent light. I'm afraid it will die if I take it home because it's not used to natural light. found you in the follow me club at mombloggers!

Cascia said...

You sound like my husband. He isn't very good at taking care of plants but I on the other hand have a green thumb. All it looks like you need to do with that plant is trim off the dead leaves. Then make sure you water it about once a week. Don't over water or you will get root rot. If the leaves start getting yellow that is a sign of root rot. Brown dried up leaves means that you are not watering enough. I hope this helps!

Jennifer said...

Cascia, you are a plant life saver... Let them live!

Chris said...

Don't feel bad. You are a step ahead of me. I am a terrible plant killer and to prove it I am not even ALLOWED to touch them at my house. Hubs tends to them. That is the only way they stay alive.

FaithChick said...

Dont feel bad. I am a landscaper and I cant keep a plant alive. Some people have it some dont. Unfortunaley I only have the knowladge and not the green thumb.

Fiona said...

someone once gave us a "money tree" as a house warming gift. It is the only plant of the many we have had that is still alive, but it hasn't exactly brought riches .... hmmm

Zeemaid said...

omgoodnes... I'm a plant killer too. I make hubby take care of them because whether I wanter or don't water.. they still get sick and die. There's only one plant I brought back to life.. and it actually bloomed. Course I hate it.. cause it drops flowers all over the place now and makes it a big mess... *L* now I'm waiting for it to die but hubby keeps resuscitating it.

Annette Piper said...

Ooooh yeah, I'm hearing you! I'm a shocking one too - I like plants but they don't like me :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...