Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Top Ten Tuesday - DIY

In the past couple of days, HBL has been on a DIY rampage. His motivation? Seeing CM stand up on his own and threatening to walk.

When we bought our house three years ago, we had grand ideas of bringing it out of its 1980s splendor and into the 2000s. Three years later, we still have those same grand ideas. But now that Monkey is on the verge of walking and grabbing things that should be affixed to the floor or wall or door, we’ve got to get a serious move on!

Today, I had the unpleasant task of painting a very cramped, shelved closet. I haven’t picked up a paintbrush and roller since we first moved into our home, and today I was reminded of the reasons why.



Top Ten Reasons I Don’t Want To Do It Myself

  1. Paint on my body and in my hair
  2. A sore arm
  3. A burning shoulder
  4. Washing paint brushes is a drag
  5. A one hour job turns into twenty four
  6. If a professional is paid to clean up, then why am I not?
  7. There is always a point when ‘missing a spot’ is okay
  8. I can take a break for as long as I want. My last one was three years
  9. When they say to make sure you paint in a well-ventilated area, listen
  10. If it doesn’t look nice, I have no one else to blame

10 comments:

Tami said...

hahahaha I'm with ya! I finally paid someone to do it after my experience with the RUB off paint..*sigh..LOL

3 Bay B Chicks said...

What? Take your house out of its 1980's splendor? What is not to love about strategically placed mirrors and pastel colors, my friend? :)

I so feel your pain on home renovation projects. Literally. This week, my husband thought it would be grand if I moved dirt from our frontyard to our back as part of a landscaping project. And by moving, I mean with a shovel and a wheelbarrel.

Manual labor is so not in my Mom contract!

-Francesca

Jenjen © GottaLoveMom said...

Haha! Honey after over decades, finally decided to hire a handy-guy!
I love the Top Ten Tuesday!
Jenjen
www.GottaLoveMom.com

Mary K Brennan said...

We bought new construction 6 years ago. Funny how we thought it would look like the model. It took over a year before the house no longer looked like the psych ward...stark white. Luckily, due to 2 pregnancies, I haven't had to do too many rooms. I did get stuck with the basement though. Before you know it, it's time to do all the rooms again because the kids have discovered the magic of Crayola.

ModernMom said...

Last time I painted...by the way I really tried to do a good job...we had to hire a painter to come in and fix my mistakes! Did you know you are not supposed to leave that blue trimming type tape on for more then a couple of hours? Yeah...otherwise it pulls all of your pretty yellow paint off with it. Opps!

Marie Reed said...

We've lived in our new house for two years and have repainted one room! I actually thought that I could get it all done in just a few weekends! I'm over from the FMC!

Banteringblonde said...

I painted K's room 2 years ago when we moved in. It was supposed to be this great greenish yellow color but it turned out a bit neon.... I haven't fixed it yet and not sure I want to!

Swoozie said...

I'm always amazed when I run into someone that ACTUALLY loves do-it-yourself renovation projects! I am certainly not one of those people!

I'm totally with you one #8! Well, actually "my last break" is going to last the rest of my life!

Swoozie said...

BTW ~~ You've been Tagged! Please stop by my blog when you have a chance!

Zeemaid said...

I hear ya! It always seems like such a great idea... until you're actually doing it. I hate the mess, I hate the clean up. That and the fact that with 3 kids running around, I have to do things at night.. and paint just never seems to go on right at night. What looks good in artificial light looks awful in natural light.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...