Friday, May 1, 2009

DIY: Save Your Money - Make Him Wear That Old Sports Jersey

Would you agree with me when I say that most men are pretty passionate about sports? And when it comes to their favorite sports team, they’re even more passionate?

Would it be safe for me to assume that if you have one of these kinds of men living in your house, you have (or he has) purchased any number of ridiculously expensive sports team jerseys?

What do you do when a beloved team member turns traitorous and has the nerve to leave the team, and it's his jersey that is living in your man's closet?

After the initial blow up - then the subsequent pouting and tantrum - does that man have the nerve NOT to wear that $200 plus jersey because he refuses to wear the traitor’s name on his back?

Not in my house!

Basketball season is winding down to a close, and the basketball jersey HBL hasn’t worn, because of player defect, has seen zero action. I'll give him all the credit, though: one afternoon, he came to me, asking for the unthinkable - to rip the player’s name off his beloved jersey so he could wear it.

Whaaat?” was my initial reaction. I couldn’t imagine taking a seam ripper to something we paid good money on! What if I messed it up? What if it was ruined? All that money down, the tubes! I asked him why he couldn’t just wear it as it was, but he responded with, “I don’t wanna look stupid!”


So, out came the seam ripper




And off came the lettering





I don’t have a “Before” picture because we can't show this player's name ('we' don’t like him anymore). I also don’t have an “After” picture, because when I finished it (and let me toot my own horn here, I ripped the seams off that sucker like nobody's business!), it was snatched out of my hands too quickly: my husband had it on his back and was out the door in thirty seconds flat.

All in all, I'm just glad that thing is getting some use again.

Happy Friday!

14 comments:

Insanity Kim said...

I am actually married to a non-traditional, not-so-into-sports man; he likes some basketball and usually has a favorite team, but he would never think to commit a day to watching games, or getting hyped up over a season, or ever wearing any sort of jersey, even if it had his own name on it! Except for poker. Or chess. Maybe European soccer. Again, non-traditional...

So while I can't relate, I must say in your hubby's sports world, you ROCK!! :)

ModernMom said...

Oh good for you. I have no domestic abiities so we would have had to put that sucker on Ebay!

Helene said...

Wow, you are an awesome wife!! I wouldn't even know what to do if my husband asked me to remove the name of a player from one of his jersies!!

Deb said...

Well, looks like you guys solved that one. Great work with that seam ripper :) I'm trying to thin out the jersey section at our house. He's only one guy, how can he ever wear all of those???

Tami said...

LOL, did we marry the same man? Mine does the same thing! My middle son has too! he was a HUGE Vick fan, until his fateful dog fighting ring came crashing down. He didn't just ask me to rip the name off, he threw the posters and the jerseys away!
I didn't much care that I wasted good money on them. I didn't care if he burned them. The stores should have allowed the fans to take the jerseys back and make Mr. Vick pay the fans for them. The jerk!
Now, because of that, my hubby and son refuse to buy any jerseys. I had 3 Vick jerseys. NONE now. They're sitting in the dump with the trash, like they belong. LOL.
Hateful isn't it?
I'm just passionate over Pit Bulls, they have such a bad rap, if you met Bella, you'd change your mind.

I look at my beautiful dog, and wonder how people could do that. More so a professional who made MILLIONS, and had MILLIONS. And the money we readily handed over for the jerks jersey. I'll burn it twice! if I could.
jerk, jerk, jerk!

Asianmommy said...

Great job! You just saved yourself $200.

...The Obnoxious SAHM.... said...

pick up your award

Banteringblonde said...

This cracks me up - my hubby used to get mad at me because when the boys would ask for sports jerseys I'd go to TJ maxx and buy them cheap and outdated... at the time they had no clue. not so anymore!

ahappyhippy mom said...

Jennifer you rock girl! I have a few of those jerseys here with the not so good player plastered on them. Hubby doesn't wear the jerseys anymore so I have claimed the out casts and use them for night shirts.

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

Jennifer that is amazing! I can't believe you thought to do that! How smart! And good girl for making sure he didn't waste that jersy!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

My hubby is like Insanity Kim's hubby - not a sports fanatic at all... :)

Great job with the seam ripper! I guess that could be considered recycling, no? ;)

Kris said...

What a smart cookie you are.

Anissa said...

My husband love LSU football.

Great job with his shirt!
TFS

shunee said...

LOL your pretty good.May man would darn ask me to do that, As much as he Holler about money,he would give me the chance.LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...