Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Am My Mother’s Daughter

You know how when you were a kid/teen/young adult/yesterday, you said “I’m never gonna be like my mom”? Remember all those things she would do, the things she would say? I seem to be doing and saying those things. I’m afraid to admit it, but I think I may be turning into my mom.

Duhn, duhn, DUUUUUUHHNNN!

Por ejemplo: I actually celebrated Mother’s Day AS A MOTHER, not as an innocent bystander with flowers, card, and candy in hand.

Okay, I get it. Turning into your mom just because you become a mom doesn't count. So, to be clearer, here are the Top Ten more pertinent examples that chronicle my slow decent into “Janet-hood”.


Top Ten Signs That I’m Turning Into My Mother

  1. In the winter, I turn the heater down so low, HBL and I have to wear socks, thermals, and down parkas inside our home. However, I let him start a fire while I pull out the blankets, so we can melt the icicles hanging from our noses
  2. I have no problem bogarting a conversation by talking about my son
  3. I annoyingly ask HBL questions about a movie while he’s watching it
  4. I give good Silent Treatment (ask HBL)
  5. I have no problem wearing pajamas in broad daylight to drop someone off in my car - if I can manage to find a pair of fuzzy green and white socks like my mom’s, then I will become her doppelganger
  6. I fall asleep, mid sentence, while talking… wait, no. I don’t do that! My mom still owns that one. Though at least now, as a sleep-deprived mother myself, I have an understanding as to why it happened to her, and why it happened so often
  7. I sneeze so loud I scare my child
  8. I feel refreshed after getting only four hours of sleep
  9. I love PDA and lots of it
  10. Lots of times, it’s a fight to the death between me and my bladder, while I run to the bathroom after a car ride
  11. I have mastered The Disapproving Glance, a.k.a. The Stink Eye (as practiced on my husband)

I love you, mom! Otherwise, my metamorphosis would be unbearably painful.

20 comments:

CenzLuccsMom said...

LMAO!!!! I love it! This is hysterical!! Our moms sound like hey could be sisters! I esp. love the run from the car to the bathroom and pajamas in the daytime!! I have fallen into that myself!! When I do get dressed in real clothes my sons are shocked and know immediately that I am going out. My mom talks through entire movies too and can never remember if she has seen them before! It sounds like your mom is quite the character and you could do worse than having turned into her, LOL!!

LZ said...

Oh, I think we're related. I have absolutely mastered the stink and silent treatment...
your mom knew what she was doing!!!

Tami said...

LOL, How as teenagers we'd tell our friends, I WILL NEVER BE LIKE MY MOM!
You say something, stop in mid sentence and say.. OMG, I'm HER!
LOL. Loved your post today. You crack me up!

~Mrs Sandy~ said...

I'm guilty too. I once told my mother I will NEVER be like you...boy have I ate those words. I grew up and now realize just how wonderful my mother is...bot did I misunderstand her and her ways.
Now my kids do me the same way. I look forward to the day that they see me in a different light:)

Insanity Kim said...

Already no one can tell the difference between my mom and I on the phone! I have to say my mom is a hottie...just remotely looking and sounding like her is a plus in itself! Too bad I have my dad's back hair tho...

Suburbia Steph said...

Oh, yes...I have that "look" too that says it ALL!

Mrs. Fish: aka Two Fish said...

LOL I love the stink eye...that's the best! The eye says it all! Dropping in from MBC to share some love, go grab your One Lovely Blog award. Happy Tuesday.

ModernMom said...

LOL So true. I give good Silent Treatment is SO funny. That is one I am not good at. I talk and talk and talk him to death!

Miss Behavin said...

Funny! I'm still coming to terms with the many ways I am like my mother. Maybe after my therapy sessions end I'll be able to blog about them.

Mommy24cs said...

Ahh the disapproving glance! This is actually a great gift to be passed down. You can say so much without saying a word and the person on the receiving end understands perfectly!!

Carson doesn't get it yet though. He just says "Mommy why you look angry?" LOL

Deb said...

That's just too cute and too true.

I also think I need the top ten list in the ways I SHOULD be more like my mom. My kids are growing up like we're on a high action, adventure ride at Disney instead of warm cookies and milk Mayberry.

Veronica Lee said...

Too true. It scares me so that I'm so much like my mom.

Jennifer said...

These were fantastic and what a loving tribute to your mother. I run errands in my jammies, I would stay in them all day every day if I could.

Maureen @ Wisconsin Mommy said...

I have eaten those same words sooooo many times!

Thanks for the vote!!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

Glad to hear that you have mastered The Disapproving Glance, a.k.a. The Stink Eye. As mom's, this one is extremely important!

Rachel said...

Hi,
love your top 10 list. very funny!

Great blog you have! I found you through some other mom blogs.

My blog contains a variety of topics. The focus is on saving money, making money, and time saving tips. Although sometimes, I enjoy just posting a random fact or something funny to cheer everyone up. We post about the practical, every day ways to save and make money.

Check it out and feel free to use or post whatever you like. Just let others know where you found it.

There are quite a few free things and deals in the next few days.

Have a great day.

www.chachingqueen.com


Cha Ching Queen
Helping you... Save: Money and time ~ Make: Extra cash ~ Learn: Random stuff
New! Austin and Dallas sections

Helene said...

This post was hilarious and SO true!! Sometimes I'll open my mouth to say something to my kids and I think "Oh no, I'm turning into my mom"! And when I was younger I used to make fun of my dad because he used to run around shutting off all the lights and fans in the house that weren't being used and screaming about wasting electricity. Now I find myself doing the same thing...ugh!

Buckeroomama said...

The list is so good!

Mastered the Silent Treatment, huh? I'll have to take pointers from you then. I can't sustain it! :)

Annette Piper said...

ROFL! Ah well, at least you REALISE it!!!

spearmint baby said...

check out www.spearmintbaby.com and www.spearmintdecor.com for this week's contests. all you have to do is become a follower :))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...