Thursday, June 11, 2009

Today Is The First Day Of The Rest Of My Life

Actually, Tuesday was. I hit rock bottom and I’m finally clawing my way out.

Some of you may or may not know that I was in a show here in Las Vegas. Well, when the show closed, it hit me hard and I became depressed. So what did this depressed, out-of-work actor do? Quit the gym, ate everything in sight, and turned into an anti-social hermit, of course!

As a result of all the chaos, I’ve taken on a serious junk food habit: full sugar Coke, jars of peanuts, gallons of ice cream, etcetera, etcetera, for always, forever… Anyway, the other night, while eating a bag of popcorn and drinking some Coke, it hit me, “Why am I eating all this junk?” After finishing up the popcorn and Coke – one should not waste – I thought long and hard about my life since losing my job, and it made me shudder. I decided enough was enough, and I was going to do something about it.

I went to the gym on Tuesday.

And boy, did I feel great… and then I felt like crap. I’ll tell you something about the gym: he is a bitterly jealous lover. He made me pay big time for not visiting him these past six months. I was standing at the sink at one point that afternoon, when I started having pains in my stomach. After going through every reason in the book, including, “I’m pregnant, I’m experiencing implantation cramps,” I realized that it was just my abs. They were sore. I forgot I had that muscle…

So I’ve recommitted myself to taking care of myself, mentally and physically: I'm going to work out regularly, eat better, and be more social. And though I know climbing out of the hole I dug for myself will take a bit of time, the changes I’ve made so far are palpable: I’ve actually answered my phone, instead of screening it and letting it go to voicemail!

Woah.

22 comments:

Deb said...

Good luck! I, too, have not been a happy friend with the gym. For a long time, I stole that comedic line that my dues were in fact "fat tax."

Summer is here with a new, hectic summer schedule, so I'm hoping that I can keep my meer twice a week visit commitment to the world of exercise.

It does make me feel better physically and emotionally...but the lure of the full sugar coke and a nap is soooooo tempting!

Hope your abs strengthen and your phone rings with the calls of good friends!

blueviolet said...

Do you know how much I've missed you and your sassy sense of humor? A lot! I'm back and just signed up again for the follow me club. Looking forward to catching up! I bought my own domain name this time so the url is a little different.

CenzLuccsMom said...

Congrats on getting back your life!!! It's amazing how just taking control of things can make you feel so good!! Keep up the good work, your a true inspiration for me to put down the Doritos!

ModernMom said...

Wow. Every time I read your blog I learn a little bit more about you. You rock girlfriend! Take care of you :)

lz said...

Are you kidding? In a show in Vegas. You truly are a rock star.
And wait...don't you have a little one? I applaud you for getting your butt in gear 6 months later...it's been 22 months for me, and I haven't decided to get back together with my ex-gym yet.

Sherry said...

Good for you for taking the back-to-the-workout plunge!! If I could only do the same I know I'd feel so much better--after the days (weeks?)that I would probably be completely immobile from the pain, of course. ;)

Alicia said...

Oh, how neat!!! I didn't know you performed in Vegas!!!

Good for you for getting out of your funk and going back to the gym!!

Oh my gosh, I'm so guilty of screening my calls!!!

Cairo Typ0 said...

You're an inspiration! Now i just need to get the energy up to follow in your steps...

Sharon said...

Again, I had to laugh out loud when I read your post. "It was just my abs...."

Good for you for clawing your way out of your funk! You go girl! (And while you are an inspiration I will continue to screen my calls! lol)

Miss Behavin said...

Good for you! It seems like I go through that whole hermit thing every winter. I'm still digging myself out so I'm glad to know I'm in good company.

Veronica Lee said...

Good for you, Jennifer!! You rock,sister!!!

Zeemaid said...

I didn't know you were in a show in Vegas. Sorry about your job.

Good for you taking the time to take stock and get back on the right path.

Great job going to the gym!

James Ricardo The Actor said...

I'm so proud of you...Even though your beautiful no matter what. And the world, will hear that stunning singing voice of yours again. Good for you boo!

Bonnie said...

Oh yes, that thing called "health" and fitting into prepregnancy pants for myself.

I acutally like working out now, I just have to find the time with 4 kids and all. Today I did, worked out with Ms. Jillian on the Shred and the kids chanted "Go Mommy Go"..lmbo...literally.

Gotta add you to my twitter cause your funny, and I like that.

Also, thanks for ruining my bedtime snack of pepsi and popcorn..geesh.

Justice Jonesie said...

You are an actress! Awesome. Okay, so who are you? Angelina pretending to have only two kids? Courtney Cox?

So glad that you are becoming a a Better-U!

Tess said...

Oh, I just went through this recently! I decided to change my eating habits nad while I dont go to the gym, Ive started a workout at home. Landed me in bed the first day with a sore back-lol!

Tami said...

YOU GO GIRL!

Kekibird said...

Congrats on getting back on the gym-horse! It's hard to turn back around when you are walking down that road of self-pity and disappointment. I'm there and wishing I could turn around.

I will...soon.

Annette Piper said...

I think that is MARVELLOUS. Can you send me some of your motivation please????

Buckeroomama said...

Good for you!!! I just started the 30 Day Shred myself on Thu. Sore all over. Skipped yesterday on account of getting the traffic ticket (yeah, I know, no relation at all!) Planning to sweat it out for Day 2 today. :)

Happy weekend!

Jenjen @GottaLoveMom said...

Hope you get a new show, soon! I bet you rocked it!
I'm glad you're back in action! Exercise is good for the mind and body -
Have a great weekend!

Caroline said...

I just found your adorable blog! Hang in there...acting can be so unreliable sometimes. My hubs sister is an actress in NY and has gone through these same ups and downs between shows. What do I say to her? I tell her that I love to just sit back in a hot bath, light a candle, soak away the stress of the day and then lather myself with my Topricin foot cream for my incredibly achy and tired mom feet! Whew. Nice and relaxing...good me time! I am impressed that you sent to the gym...something I need to take some notes on myself :) smilinggreenmom *tweet me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...