Monday, August 24, 2009

The Water Heater Chronicles

My husband does not want to pay for something if he can do it himself. Even when it means having something done correctly, efficiently, and stress free BY SOMEONE ELSE.

I understand in this economic time, that families are saving as much as they can, curbing their spending, counting their pennies. I agree with that, I understand it, and our family does it. But lemme ‘splain something about my husband and DIY home projects: they don’t mix. Right now even, as I type this, I hear him in the garage cursing his brains out.

The other day, when he informed me that the water heater needed to be replaced, I immediately tried to convince him that we should pay someone to take care of it for us. I waxed poetic over the fact that hiring someone to do it would mean:
  • We would have peace of mind - if it wasn’t fixed properly, we could blame someone else and have them fix it again
  • We would have a stress free evening – no sweating, cursing, and frustration for HBL and no having to witness and listen to him sweat, curse, and become increasingly frustrated as the process wore on, for me
Sure, all that peace of mind and stress free living would cost us a pretty penny, but watching my husband start off as Dr. Jekyll and end up as Mr. Hyde while tackling DIY projects makes the price worth it for me. I’ve had the ‘pleasure’ of experiencing my husband in all his DIY glory for the past three years, and I feel confident in saying that I don’t need to experience another three.

*sigh*

I wasn’t successful in my efforts to convince him to hire someone to do the job. But, since he insisted that he could do this, I insisted that he could not complain about how tough something was, since he signed on for it. And much to my surprise, he’s been holding up his end of the bargain! He’s been having his tantrums in private - usually he is in and out of the house bemoaning something!

Here’s hoping he gets it done soon, so he can finally take a shower, get some food in his stomach, and relax.

… With a new hot water heater installed correctly!

14 comments:

blueviolet said...

Bless him for tackling some of this stuff. If he's got the skills to do it, I think it's fantastic!

You need to just leave the house while he's working on them maybe.

Tami said...

Ooh boy! I know how your feeling.. boy do I EVER! LOL

Buckeroomama said...

I'm with you. Sometimes it's not worth the aggro just to save a few bucks... unless you're really confident (and competent) enough to fix it yourself.

Bless him, though, for trying. :)

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

Oh, I hear you! I wanted a new desk and J said he'd make me one. Uh...no thanks. A piece of wood on cinder blocks is not my idea of an organized place to 'work.'
If he can do it, that's great! the fact that he agreed to do it without moaning and grumbling? Great for you. Now go buy something with the money you saved...

Insanity Kim said...

I convinced hubby to not replace the second story window while standing on a flimsy ladder outside because he could fall and the glass would shatter all over him and he would die.

Then I fixed our circuit breaker by convincing him to just push on every connection to see what would happen.

Now that we live in an apartment, for the first time ever, we don't have to do anything but pick up the phone...it has its advantages. Hope it all worked out!!

thais. said...

ok, my husband is the king of DIY projects. in fact for the past five years os marriage my life is a constant work in progress. it started with a bathroom, and it went to the bedroom, backyard, garage, downstairs.... ahhhh!!! at least he enjoys it and doesn't complain, but I totally hear you :) curious to know if the heater works...

Jennifer said...

Well, for the record, ladies, it DOES work. THANK GOD!!! LOL!

Mary K Brennan said...

Of all the projects he could have insisted on doing himself, the man chose the hot water heater project? Good grief! Will they ever learn?
This past weekend my husband put a hole in the wall just to see if there was a switch on the other side of where he wanted to install my new ironing board. Well, the switch was there. So basically, no ironing board could be installed. He did patch the hole (after a little nagging). But now the whole darn room needs to painted.
Why you ask? Curiosity of course, and the need to tackle DIY's himself.
God help us Jen.

Alicia said...

Good for him for tackling it himself. There are soooo many men who can't do anything around the house and have to hire everyone and their mother to do the job for them!

Mommy24cs said...

My hubby is so not a DIY person. If anything in this house need fixed it's usually me doing the fixing or we call someone.

Hope your hubby got it fixed!

Swoozie said...

Here's hoping all goes smoothly for your husband and that brand spanking new hot water heater is up and working by mealtime! No fuss ~~ No muss!

Gotta' love that man for saving money.....

The Blonde Duck said...

I totally get you...I HATE when things break around the house...

Mighty M said...

Sounds a lot like how things go between my husband and me! :-)

Veronica Lee said...

My hubby claims he's a DIY man but everything he fixes DOES NOT work. The faucet is still leaking and the curtain rails are slanted!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...