Monday, November 23, 2009

The Purge

The New Year is a-comin’ and I’m on a quest to purge my house of all unnecessary items. Unlike my mom and my grandma (who both have black belts in Pack Rattery), I have an aversion to keeping things for potential future use… will I really need that empty butter tub five years from now?

I’ve moved so many times in my life, I can officially say I hate having extra stuff. Oh, and I hate packing and lugging around said extra stuff from one place to another - I don’t want to carry heavy boxes of things that should’ve been chucked a year ago!

Even now, when I look around my house and see all the picture frames, or think about the things hidden away in bookcases and cupboards, I start to freak out a little. One day, I will have to pack all that stuff up…

Ugh.

This afternoon, while Monkey was enjoying his nap, I decided that the guest bedroom would be a great place to start the process, since most of our out-of-use things are stored there. I did a great job going through my collection of books. But then, when I looked over and saw a box of old papers that needed to be sorted through, my stomach dropped, and I said, “Uh, I’m done for the day.”

This is why purging needs to happen every day for me, because the thought of going through all our stuff is making me want to hibernate.

Or I could just put it off till next year…

17 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

Ah, The Purge! I so badly need one and I keep putting it off. :(

Cairo Typ0 said...

I really need to start reading more carefully. I initially read your opening as, " I'm on a quest to purge my house of all unnecessary items like my mom and grandma." hehehe Ok coffee time for Typ0!

James Ricardo The Actor said...

Wait until the spring, that is why they call it spring cleaning! Enjoy the holidays! LOL

American in Norway said...

Wanna come do my house when you are finished? LOL

ZenMom said...

I keep trying to purge, but I swear the stuff has a way of magically multiplying.

Good luck and happy purging.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I went to the school of Pack Rattery. Graduated with honors.
We are planning a move next year and starting to declutter now. It stresses me out to no end...Good luck!

Stephanie Stearns Dulli said...

Oh man, I am constantly tossing stuff out. Especially since my MIL is not only a triple black belt in rat packery. I can't stand extra stuff and the amount of toys her she brings this kid gives me hives. She still has my husbands high chair. It was quite the fight to convince her Max was NOT sitting in it!
Good luck with your purging! A little a day and take what youve done out to the garage or whatever so you can see your progress!

The Blonde Duck said...

See, I'm a binging packrat. I pack and stuff and hoard and hide...and then one day, I go ballistic and throw it all away. Then the cycle repeats itself...

blueviolet said...

Yes, it's the papers that get to me! I can't stand it. They take hours to sort!

Mighty M said...

Good luck!

I have to be in the mood to get it done, but once I am watch out!! ;)

Alicia said...

I love purging too! Sometimes I purge too much! LOL

I feel bad when my kids will ask, "HAve you seen my such and such a toy?"

Helene said...

I really need to purge...I've got stuff stuck in every drawer, every closet, every crevice in this house. It makes my head hurt when I think about going through everything!

Veronica Lee said...

Best of luck with the purging, Sista!!

The Bumbles said...

I think you need to be in the right frame of mind and just blow through it all in a couple of big chunks once or twice a year. Then when you get it all tidy, try real hard to keep it that way.

I'm also much better about going over and motivating a friend to get rid of their junk than I am at dealing with my own.

Purging must be done without over-thinking and is best when you are cranky and not sentimental - just annoyed and on a mission to wipe it all out!

Sarah said...

I love purging! It's so hard to get started, sometimes, but it feels so so good when you are done!
Following you from MBC.
Sarah

Nezzy said...

It's hard gettin' started but so good when it's done. I wanted to wish ya'll a wonderful Thanksgiving.

God bless ya'll!!!

Insanitykim said...

I hear you! The less the better!!!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...