Monday, July 30, 2012

Leave My Grandma Alone, Stupid Cancer!

My grandma is eighty six years old. And she has colon cancer. And I'm scared.

To a lot of people, it'd be easy to write it off and say, "She's old! She's lived a long time. She's already lived a full life." But really? No matter how old a person is, if it's a person you love, you still want to take cancer down a back alley and pull a Walter White on it.

I live in a different state than my grandma. I haven't been able to see her yet. When she was in the hospital, she asked for me. And I'm sad that I wasn't there for her. And even now, I'm afraid not to be near her.
Thankfully, she had a successful surgery, removing all of her colon cancer. The crap part is, during that surgery, they had to get a sample of the tumor on her liver.

While we wait on the results of her biopsy, they released her and she is doing well at home.


My grandma has lived with my family for almost all of my young life. She helped raise me and my younger siblings. She cooked, she cleaned, she cared for us. She was the SAHM to my own mom having to work two jobs. My grandma did that for us.

My grandma is hilarious and has no shame. If I ask her a question, no matter how personal, she likes to tell me the truth. My mom doesn't like to be around when I have those kinds of conversations with her, if you know what I mean.

My grandma is also not the subtlest person in the world. She lets you know that she was a beauty queen, that she was (and still is) very beautiful. Oh, and when it comes to her feelings, let's say she might have invented the term "Drama Queen". She will make sure everyone knows when she's upset. Or happy. And especially if those feelings are directed toward you.

I guess the point of this post is for me to put it out on the internet forever that I love her. And that she's a character. And that there's a lot about me that's like her, good and bad. I'm glad she's still here on earth. I don't know for how long, but I hope it's for many more years to come. And while she's still here, watching sports on TV, yelling at Wheel of Fortune contestants, I hope to be able to tell her all of this.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...